Thursday, June 13, 2024

Big Kansas Road Trip - Lucas, Sylvan Grove, Vesper

 

Last month, I traveled to Lucas, Sylvan Grove, and Vesper during the Big Kansas Road Trip.

On the way home, I stopped in Tescott and Abilene.

 

 

Every year, the Kansas Sampler Foundation organizes the Big Kansas Road Trip to highlight some of the hidden treasures in rural Kansas. 

 


 

 

I attended the Big Kansas Road Trip for the first time last year, in Smith, Jewell, and Republic counties, in North Central Kansas, along the Kansas-Nebraska border.

 

This year, the Road Trip was held in Ellsworth County, Lincoln County, and Lucas, in central Kansas. 

Lucas is located in Russell County.

The Road Trip took place from May 2-5, although I was only able to participate on Friday, May 3.

 


 

 

In Lucas, I took photos of the art on display at Fork Art Park. 

 


 

 

 

The public restroom for the park features intricate works of art built from toy cars, dominoes, dice, and other eye-catching materials. 

 


 

 

 

I took photos of beautiful murals in Lucas as well.

 


 

 

 

I attended a tour led by an official from the Kansas Audubon Society, who discussed their conservation work. 

 

 

In Sylvan Grove, I visited the Yesterday House, the town’s history museum, and a historic Union Pacific Railroad Depot, shown below. 

 


 

 

 

I took photos of “In the Wind,” the mural that surrounds the Vesper Community Center.

 


 

 

 

On the way home, I stopped in Tescott, where I photographed murals, memorials, and birds resting atop the Tescott water tower. 

 


 

 

I also stopped for a bite to eat at “The Lumberyard,” a bar and grill in Tescott.

 

 

 

In Abilene, I took photos of sculptures of women in fantasy settings.

The sculptures were for sale in the Great Plains Gift Company section of the 24/7 Travel Store, a gas station just off I-70.

 


 

 

 

I created a video from the photos I took during the trip. 

 

 

 

If you enjoyed this video, you might enjoy my Slices of Life playlist.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment