Friday, May 17, 2024

LGBT by the Numbers — Season 2

 

Gallup released its latest survey on LGBT identity in the United States in mid-March.

Over the next seven weeks, I published eight articles on Meticulous Musings that analyze the results of that survey, complete with colorful and compelling graphs to illustrate its data.

Some of these graphs were created by Gallup. I created the others using Flourish.

These articles were published in March and April.

Collectively, this series of articles is the second season of LGBT by the Numbers. 

 


 

 

In September 2023, I published the initial articles in the first season of LGBT by the Numbers, which explored the terms used to describe LGBT identity, and discussed survey data on the prevalence of those identities in the United States.

Season 1 consisted of 14 articles, which you can easily navigate in that season’s Table of Contents.

I completed Season 1 of LGBT by the Numbers in February.

 

 

I have written this Table of Contents to provide readers with a summary of the articles in Season 2 of LGBT by the Numbers. 

It also allows readers to easily navigate the series.

If you haven’t read all of the articles from Season 2, I'd recommend doing so. Each has intriguing insights to consider.

 

 

 

1. New Data, New Insights

 

This is my introductory article for the second season of LGBT by the numbers. This introduction discusses how the series compliments and continues my earlier coverage.

 

 

 

2. Overview

 

Gallup determined 7.6% of US adults identified as LGBT in 2023.

I explored how the percent of US adults who identify as LGBT has steadily risen since Gallup began polling the question in 2012. 

 

Based on Gallup’s estimate, there are 20 million LGBT US adults. 

I compared this number to the populations of the most populous US states.

 

I also compared each generation of US adults based on the percent of its respondents who identify as LGBT.

Each generation has a higher proportion who identify as LGBT than the generation that came before, and that has been true in each of Gallup’s annual surveys, since 2020.

 

 

 

3. Specific Identities

 

In this article, I discussed the percent of US adults who identify with specific LGBT identities.

Gallup found that 4.4% are bisexual, 1.4% are gay, 1.2% are lesbian, and 0.9% are transgender.

I showed how the percent of US adults who identify with these identities has changed over time.

I discussed how these statistics compare to those found in other surveys that track LGBT identity among US adults.

I also compared the number of US adults who are bisexual, gay, and lesbian, to the populations of US states.

 

 

 

4. LGBT Identities by Generation

 

I begin this article by comparing the percent of each generation who identify as LGBT.

The percent of each generation of US adults who identify as LGBT is about twice as large as the generation that preceded them.

 

I created two bar graphs from a table that showed the percent of each generation that identifies with specific LGBT identities.

I used a line graph to compare the sizes of LGBT identities among Gen Z adults. I did the same for Millennials.

I created a line graph to compare the percent of each generation that identifies as bisexual.

 

Finally, I compared Gallup’s results on LGBT identity among Gen Z adults to the results of Pew Research Center’s survey on gender identity.

 

 

 

5. LGBT Identity by Gender

 

In this article, I compared the percent of women and men who identify as LGBT.

8.5% of women identify as LGBT, and 4.7% of men identify as LGBT.

I compared the percent of men who identify as bisexual and gay, and I compared the percent of women who identify as bisexual and lesbian.

 

I created graphs that broke down Gallup’s data by Gender and Generation.

One graph compared the percent of men in each generation who identify with specific LGBT identities.

Another graph compared the percent of women in each generation who identify with specific LGBT identities.

 

I also broke down Gallup’s results for nonbinary respondents.

Non-binary refers to people who identify with a gender that isn’t exclusively male or female.

This year’s survey was the first time Gallup provided results for nonbinary adults.

 

 

 

6. A Better LGBT Total

 

In this article, I explain why I believe Gallup’s LGBT total provides a slight undercount.

Specifically, I argue that Gallup’s total leaves out some nonbinary and asexual Americans.

Using results from Gallup and another survey, I estimate 8.0% of US adults are LGBT.  

This would mean there are 21 million LGBT US adults.

I compared this value to the populations of the largest US states.

 

 

 

7. LGBT Identities by Generation, continued

 

In this article, I examine individual LGBT identities, in separate graphs, and compare the percent of each generation who identifies with those identities.

I begin by examining LGBT identity, overall.

Then I examine graphs for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender Americans.

I conclude by analyzing volunteered responses.

 

 

 

8. Generations by LGBT Identities

 

In the final article in the series, I examine individual generations to compare the percent of people from each generation who identify with specific LGBT identities.

I began by examining US adults, as a whole.

I then examine graphs for Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, Baby Boomers, and the Silent Generation.

 

 

 

The next big LGBT survey is the Gender Census, which is now open.

The Gender Census is an annual global survey of nonbinary people.

If your gender falls outside the male-female binary, and you would like to participate, you may do so at survey.gendercensus.com.

The survey asks nonbinary people how they describe themselves, and how they would like others to describe them.

The Gender Census will be open through at least June 13.

 

After the survey is complete and its results are available, I will discuss them here, on Meticulous Musings. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment