Thursday, December 17, 2015

Well, that was unexpected…

On Monday, I was laid off from my job at The Daily Union. 

The publisher said the decision had nothing to do with my work performance. Instead, the company is operating at a loss and had to cut payroll.

My termination was effective immediately. I had been planning to leave the paper for a better paying job within the next year anyway, but I did not anticipate leaving so soon and without advance notice.

I am disappointed I wasn’t given the professional courtesy of knowing I would be without a job ahead of time. I consider that to be disrespectful and was pretty upset about it for a couple days.

I have begun the process of saying goodbye to my various sources that I regularly interacted with through the different beats that I’ve covered. I have also begun searching for my next job.

The Daily Union was a great place to begin my career. I learned how to write stories quickly in a way that flowed well and could be easily understood by the public. 

I became less worried about covering controversial stories for a large audience. I also had less trouble meeting new people and going to new places, both in my professional and personal life.

Over the next few days, I will be posting some material from stories I planned to cover for The Daily Union, prior to being laid off. I should also have more time to dedicate to the topics that I have traditionally discussed here as well.


I will let you know when I receive my next job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment