Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Inbox



[AUTHOR’S NOTE: The following is part of the 9 post story “Injustice at K-State,” that documents my interactions with the K-State judicial system. It was originally written November 19, 2012 and was edited over Thanksgiving Break. I published it during Winter Break.]


I had transferred to Kansas State University in Spring 2011. I first learned of my K-State email when my Psychology teacher told the class late in that semester that he had sent something to our K-State email. I thought to myself, “I have a K-State email account?”


Before this incident I had only checked my email once this semester, when no one showed up to one of my classes on October 3. I called two of my friends in the class and did not get a reply. When I checked my k-state email I found that my teacher was having us meet somewhere else that day. I was 20 minutes late to the class. 


I knew that checking my k-state email was something I was supposed to do. But I thought it was comparable to how you’re supposed to brush your teeth twice a day, supposed to drive the speed limit on the interstate, or supposed to buckle your seat belt. I viewed it as something you were supposed to do but wasn’t that big of a deal if you didn’t.


Thursday night (October 18) I finished a paper for one of my courses. I submitted the paper to an online drop box around 2 AM Friday morning. Then I checked my K-State email. There were monsters living there.


On October 15 (although the first time I saw it I was under the impression it had been sent long before then) I was sent the following email from the Kansas State University Attorney-General:


[Name Deleted],

My name is [Name Deleted] and I'm the current Kansas State Attorney General. I am a student, just like you, and am in charge of all of the judicial branch operations of the Kansas State Student Governing Association.

I received notice that you have failed to follow the directions of [Name Deleted], Assistant Dean of Student Life, to schedule a meeting with her. Because this incident occurred on University property, you may be in violation of Article VI, Section 3.a of the KSU SGA By-laws, specifically Items:

7. Failure to comply with the directions of University faculty, staff, or law enforcement officers acting in performance of their duties or failure to identify oneself to these persons when requested to do so.


As a result, you are now subject to adjudication from the Kansas State judicial system. Any student receiving an on-campus violation that breaks the Student Conduct Code ( http://www.k-state.edu/sga/documents/bylaws.html) is subject to this process.

You must have a hearing in front of the Student Review Board- a 5 member student panel. Your hearing will be on Thursday, November 1st, 2012 at 7:200 pm in Union room 208. Please arrive 15 minutes early and wait in the seating area until I call you into the conference room.

The hearing script may be found online at
http://www.k-state.edu/osas/sga/judicial/Scripts.pdf. During this process your violation will be read, a discussion will be initiated, and, if applicable, a sanction will be delivered. If you choose not to participate in the hearing, the board will assume that you have plead "not guilty" and will continue with the hearing and render a decision without the benefit of your input. As a result, I encourage you to attend your hearing and present your case and any witnesses that you feel will help.

If you wish, you may bring an advisor or witnesses to your hearing. Witnesses will be brought in one at a time and questioned by you, myself and the Student Review Board. Your advisor may be present throughout the hearing but will not be granted speaking privileges to the board. If your advisor is an attorney then you must let me know by Friday, October 19th so that the University may notify its own general counsel to be present at the hearing. Failure to notify me of an attorney being present will result in your hearing being delayed until a later date.


If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to contact me via email or the number listed below. I’m here to help.

Thank you,

-[Name Deleted]
Attorney General”


I also saw the following email from a dean from the Office of Student Life that was sent September 24.

“Please contact my office at [number redacted] to schedule an appointment to meet with me this week. If you do not schedule this appointment by noon tomorrow, an enrollment hold will be placed on your account.

I look forward to meeting with you soon. ”

I sent the Dean this reply:


“I apologize for not replying to you sooner, I do not check my k-state email on a regular basis. I did not hear about your request until I saw the hold on my enrollment for next semester. I would be glad to meet with you next week on Monday between 1 and 2 or Tuesday anytime after 1:30. If neither of those days work, I can provide you with the times for other days.

What exactly is this meeting about?”


I sent the Attorney-General the following reply explaining my situation.


“I did not respond to the Dean because I do not check my e-mail on a regular basis. I have now contacted her and will soon schedule an appointment with her office. Do I still have to come to the proceedings?”

After seeing the email from the Attorney General, I had an emotional breakdown. I thought about calling my parents, but I didn’t want to wake them up at 2 in the morning. Then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment