Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Meeting


[AUTHOR’S NOTE: The following is part of the 9 post story “Injustice at K-State,” that documents my interactions with the K-State judicial system. It was originally written November 19, 2012 and was edited over Thanksgiving Break. I published it during Winter Break.]


Then I had my long awaited meeting with the dean.

She was very reasonable once I met with her. I apologized to the Dean for not replying earlier and again explained that I didn’t check my email very often.

The meeting wasn’t at all about what I thought it was about. Apparently a woman who had classes with me in fall 2011 thought that I was creeping her out and trying to hit on her which she didn’t want because she was engaged. I didn’t even recognize her by her name, I only remembered her when I was shown a picture of her by the dean. I wasn’t attracted to her at the time nor am I now.

All I had done was be friendly to her, “How do you think you did on the test?” “Where did you grow up?” “What do you want to do after college?” These are the kinds of things I discuss with all of my classmates. Apparently she thought those were the kinds of things you only discuss with your husband. I hadn’t talked to the woman since fall 2011.  

This woman had told the Dean that she had complained to some of the teachers we had in common, but none of those teachers had told me about it. The Dean asked if the police had tried to contact me, and I told her it was probably buried somewhere in my 1,000 unread emails.

The Dean told me not to contact the complainant and not to attempt third party contact with the complainant. The Dean also said that if I saw the complainant in the hallway I should walk the other way.

The Dean then dropped the complaint with the Student Review Board and told me to check my K-State email on a regular basis.

I had been only 3 days from being expelled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment